The Natural Soap Color Palette gives you the tools you need to color your soap with nature’s own colorants. Join Kandra in her exploration of over 22 natural soap colors from infusions and custom blends. You’ll be empowered to start your own soap color experiments and be on your way to creating your own new color blends:
- Learn how to make botanical infusions, teas, decoctions, and slurries.
- Understand how to masterbatch lye, what a water discount actually is, and how to use ratios for simplified water calculations.
- Find out how to track your infusions, and how to calculate how much oil you have in an infusion jar.
- Learn how to make a single bar “micro” batch.
- Learn how to mix existing colors to make new colors, including blended greens and an array of purples.
- Learn how colors fade over time, and what to do about it.
- Discover how to keep your soaps white and why not all charcoal makes black soap while some make soap too black.
- Includes Kandra’s recipe for her “anti-alkanet” purple powder!
About the Author and Soap maker: Kandra has been making soap with natural colorants since 2010. Her struggles with finding a perfect reproducible purple started her down her path to color blending, finding new ways to create soap colors with all-natural ingredients, and have introduced her to lifelong along the way. She wrote this guide to natural colors with the hopes of sharing her joy of soapmaking, nature, and the combination of her artistic passions with other soapmakers. Kandra’s natural soap colors have been brightening the showers and sinks of her customers for years, and now they can find a new glory in your soaps!
This book is a guide to help you understand how to extract colors from nature through infusions, teas, decoctions, and botanicals. It will help you to not only have a better understanding of the process but provide the skills you need to go beyond simply following instructions from a recipe. You will have a better understanding of how your ingredients affect the color of your soap and how to create your own unique soap colors.
Colors featured in this book include:
- Green: created from slurries and blends of yellows and blues
- Orange: from infusions and carrots ranging from sunny yellows to bright orange and peach tones.
- Purple: going beyond the all-might alkanet root and exploring how to blend a perfect purple from reds, blacks, and blues.
- Black: including charcoal grays to midnight blacks that don’t stain
- White: understanding what makes a soap white, and how to manipulate your process to create a beautiful white to creamy off-white.